Friday, January 28, 2011

Restless

This term has gone by so fast.  I thought I was going to be a lot more stressed too.  Don't get me wrong, I have logged plenty of homework hours but... I really don't mind it.  The art to college is understanding that it is a lot of work and you are willfully doing it so why not see it as God allowing you do exactly what you want to be doing.  Now I know few people really want to do homework till late at night or over the weekend [i just do mine during the weekdays though] and in the short term it's not pleasing, it is worthwhile in the long term.  If you have something better to do than go to class.. do it.  If school stresses you out that much and you have better things to do... go do them and stop letting it ruin your day.  When I look to what my future will be after applying myself and learning enough discipline to graduate I can honestly say I like going to school, I feel lazy and bored when I just do nothing, maybe that's why in five years I can only remember intentionally skipping a class maybe twice... I honestly can't remember that's just a guess cause I'm sure I missed some. (I did accidentally miss a math recitation freshman year and showed up an hour late).  The point I'm getting too is that this term has been very enjoyable because I like what I do.  I like playing in stock market simulation software way more than my class requires.  I like going out to my senior project sponsor site and building workbenches and running a skill saw again (takes me back to summer).  Even though this term has been great I feel so anxious to do more, a therapist I used to meet with would laugh and tell me I am "full of life" and that I want to do some many things that I just don't have time for right now in life.  So here is a list of things I am thinking about or would like to do with my life, seeing that in a couple months I will have the time too pursue one of them I better get them on the table.
  • Work at Blount  as an Engineer and work my way through management to be CEO.
  • Work at Adec and mentor future MECOP interns.
  • Go to Seminary on the East Coast.
  • Start a Bible School in Bend with Brett.
  • Get married young.
  • Stay single into my 30's.
  • Go to graduate school at MIT.
  • Move to Colorado and get waaay to into running.
  • Move to Utah and ski everyday.
  • Start mountaineering seriously, which would probably lead to climbing Everest.
  • Cross Country Ski to both the earth's poles.
  • Play music more seriously.
  • Move to Florida and wakeboard everyday.
  • Buy a ranch and raise my boys on it.
  • Live on a sailboat and sail around the world for a few years.
  • Get more involved at my church and start a house church.
  • Compete in Triathlons and do an Iron Man.
  • Become a professional cyclist.
  • Start an innovative Lean Manufacturing company.
  • Be a firefighter and eventually "climb the ladder" so to speak.
  • Get married, live in Portland and bring the Gospel to my neighbors.
  • Move to Bend and see just how good at mountain biking I could be.
  • Travel the world with my family as missionaries.
  • Romance and live adventurously with a beautiful woman for the rest of my life. 
People always say dream big cause you can do anything you want.  While I used to be pretty critical of this statement and while some things are just impossible I have this feeling of being able to do just about anything I want.  There is no stress of if I'm able too... more just having to chose and do it.  That list isn't a bunch of my dreams, they are my options,  maybe I'm too confident... but I know the only way I could anything in this life that has been given me is through the Lord.  So maybe these aren't really MY options, but the paths the Lord has set on my heart.  He'll be there no matter which one I start walking down and no one will glorify Him any more or less.  I'm stoked to make disciples and share Jesus with whoever I end up having around me. As much of an introverted sail-around-the-world-by-myself person I may be I'll end up being a leader in some extent at some point of my life and I'm so thankful for that.  As for now I'll have a few more tests and an amazing trip to Greece to experience before these start happening.

"But I'll have years to think of
The way I'd do the things I did
We're here now and I can change
But I'm still restless"

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; ALL things are possible with God."
Mark 10:27


____
Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment